Sciath na Scol is a schools based organisation which organises Gaelic games in the primary schools of Cork city and county. There are over 400 schools affiliated in the various codes, catering for 7,000 children annually.
- Sciath na Scol caters for hurling, football, camogie , handball and girls football.
- The football leagues are played in autumn and the hurling leagues begin at Easter.
- West Cork, North Cork and the South East also run extra parallel competitions.
- Two festivals of 24 hurling and 24 football competitions are played each year in Pairc Ui Chaoimh and Pairc Ui Rinn.
- The “Lá Mór” in West Cork is played in Dunmanway while Fermoy is the North Cork venue.
- In any school year Sciath na Scol organises 2325 games in 162 competitions
- Sciath na Scol distributes subsidised playing equipment each year hurleys, helmets, footballs and sliotair.
- Sciath na Scol organises development county-wide regionalised Indoor Hurling and Camogie competitions which cater for in excess of 150 schools during the winter months.
- The South East run a hugely successful Indoor Football competition — Caid Carraigdonn.
- Sciath na Scol runs Foundation Courses for teachers each summer.
- Sciath na Scol organises and selects The Primary Game each summer.
- Sciath na Scol is funded by the County Board, Munster Council and Church and General.
- Sciath na Scol is run by an executive with no full time personnel. Sciath na Scol celebrates its Centenary in 2003 and is the oldest Schools based sports organisation in Ireland.
Link to Scaith na Scol Website is here
Oifig: 021 4291664