The GAA Foundation Course is the first step in coaching at any age level. Foundation Courses are open to all Clubs, Schools, Individuals & Sporting organisations. With legislation now in place its advisable that all adult mentors and coaches of teams must have a minimum of Foundation Course completed before they can become a coach.
This also applies to Cul Camps, Easter Camps & Halloween Camps etc. (this does not apply to younger club members helping out at these camps – they can do the Emerging Coaches Course) . There must be a certified Coach in charge at all times for any club activity involving games, training or camp activities.
Since May 2018 the GAA have changed the registration for courses etc so in order to take part in a course in your local club you must register at the Learning & Development Community Portal at learning.gaa.ie which has been developed to provide better access to key resources for GAA members and those actively promoting Gaelic Games. You register as a site member and then can you gain access to our Coach Education Programmes which will help support your role as Coach, Referee, Administrator or Player.
The Foundation Course is also the first step in progressing to Award 1 and Award 2. Going forward clubs will have to have coaches qualified at Award 1 or Award 2 involved in their adult teams to comply with legislation. As a “Foundation Coach” you must be either coaching/assisting or actively involved with an underage team & you must attend a minimum of 2 workshops provided by Cork Coaching & Games throughout the year.
The Foundation Award course is aimed at beginner coaches and will enable participants to assist a coach in the organisation of activities to develop Hurling or Gaelic football. The course is 7 ½ hours in duration (or 9 hours for dual hurling and football course) and covers 4 key modules, as well as Introductory and Conclusion modules.
These 4 modules are:
• Introduction to Games
• Skill Development
• Movement Skills
• Coaching Children, Youths and Adults
The focus of the course is the development of the ‘How to Coach’ skills by placing the participant in situations that they will face as coaches – the organisation of games activities, activities to develop skill and activities to develop the various movement skills.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
• Assist a coach in organising a programme of Games and Skill Development activities appropriate to each participants needs and abilities
• Identify the Skills of Hurling and Gaelic Football
• Assist a coach in organising progressive activities (drills and fun games) to develop 5 key skills
• Assist a coach in organising progressive activities to develop movement skills appropriate to Gaelic games
• Assist a coach in organising and managing players for an effective practice session
• Demonstrate the How to Coach Skills – Build Rapport, Observe, Analyse, Explain, Provide Demonstration and Provide Positive Feedback to Players
If your club wishes to run a Foundation Coaching Course in the 7 month period between October and April contact your club secretary first. Your club secretary will have to contact Coach Education Officer Shane Supple to check availability and book your course at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A course can only be booked by the club secretary through Shane Supple. The course fees are €250 per course, payable before the course starts. If a school wishes to run a Foundation course pleases contact Shane Supple Coach Education Officer Shane Supple at email@example.com
Guideline & Requirements for Foundation Course Certification
• Since May 2018 the GAA have changed the registration for courses etc so in order to take part in a course in your local club you must register at the Learning & Development Community Portal at learning.gaa.ie which has been developed to provide better access to key resources for GAA members and those actively promoting Gaelic Games. You register as a site member and then can you gain access to our Coach Education Programmes which will help support your role as Coach, Referee, Administrator or Player.
• Any person wishing to receive a Foundation Certificate must provide proof from the club Coaching Officer that they have assisted in a minimum of 8 coaching/training sessions with their club. (A letter on headed paper signed by the Coaching Officer stating the location, dates and times these sessions took place will be required) This does not stop anyone from doing the course, this is to receive your Certificate afterwards
Download form here Foundation Course Coaching Officer verification form 2017
• Any Person wishing to receive a Foundation Certificate must attend at least 2 workshops run by Cork Coaching & Games during the year. Registration at Workshop on the night will suffice
• Any Person wishing to receive a Foundation Certificate must provide proof from the club Coaching Officer that they have completed the “Child Protection Awareness Workshop”.(A letter on headed paper signed by the Coaching Officer stating the location, date and time this workshop took place will be required) This does not stop anyone from doing the course, this is to receive your Certificate afterwards. Download form here Foundation Course Child Protection Awarness Workshop verification form 2017
• Any Person wishing to receive a Foundation Certificate must provide proof of Garda Vetting. Notification from club secretary or Coaching Officers stating you have done Garda Vetting will suffice.This does not stop anyone from doing the course, this is to receive your Certificate afterwards
• Any Person wishing to receive a Foundation Certificate must complete all modules of the course.
• Any Person wishing to receive a Foundation Certificate must be over 18 years of age.
• Any Person wishing to receive a Foundation Certificate must supply to the course tutor the following information. Name, Club, Email. (without this information your Cert cannot be processed)
• Complete payment for the course by the individual or club.
*It is up to the participant to complete and provide all of the above before you will receive your Foundation Certificate.
**If you are not a member of a club ie: teacher or person in 3rd level education you can still attend a course but please contact Shane Supple regarding your circumstances.
Guideline on registration to enrol for Foundation on Learning .ie
The following is a list of instructions on how to register and enrol on a course on www.learning.gaa.ie:
- Go to the learning.gaa.ie
- Open an account on GAA E-Learning Portal by clicking on ‘Register’ in the top right hand corner:
- Fill in details, i.e. Name, email address and a Password of your choice. Note the email address must a legitimate email address and unique to you. The password must have at least 8 characters, at least 1 digit(s), at least 1 lower case letter(s), at least 1 upper case letter(s).
- A confirmation email will be sent to your email address. You will need to follow the instructions of this email to complete registration. (NB Some confirmation emails are arriving in Spam/Junk mailboxes).
- When you are redirected back into the site, the user will be asked to accept a Site Policy Agreement – it is important you read this policy and agree to the statements if you wish to continue using the site and gain course certification.
- If you agree you will be directed to your personal ‘Profile’ where you will be asked to input some personal details such as address, date of birth and Club.
To Access your Course (you must be registered and logged in to proceed)
- You can access your course in 1 or 2 ways.
- Either you have been provided with a link to the course which will bring you directly to it
- Or your tutor will provide you with a code similar to GAA0UD0011 which you type into the search box in the elearning section of the website. (Click the Black Elearning Button on the Top Right hand side to access this part of the site.)
Click to Enrol when prompted.
Foundation Courses for Clubs
Courses are run for 7 months of the year so if your club wishes to complete a Foundation Coaching Course during any the following months October, November, December, January, February, March & April the club secretary will have to book your course with Coach Education Officer Shane Supple at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 4 weeks in advance of your course.
• Your club has to have a minimum of 12 participants to run a course
• Participants must be Over 18 years of age to complete a GAA run Foundation Course. Students can take part in courses run in Schools for TY.
• Participants who do not complete the full course will not receive certification
• The cost of a Foundation Course for a club is €250 for up to 20 participants.
• A Deposit & Administration Fee of €25 must be paid online before any course will be registered and tutors assigned.
• If your club will have more than 20 participants the cost will be €450 as two tutors are required
• All payments for courses are to be paid in advance of course beginning
• Please let Shane Supple know the number of participants you believe you club will have for your course when you are booking
• Bookings are to be made by email through your club secretary only.
• The Foundation Coaching Course is 9 hours for a Dual Course and 7.5 hours for a single code
• The course can be done in the following formats: 3 hrs on a Friday night and 6 hrs on the Saturday OR over 2 weeknights either in the same week or spread out over 2 or 3 weeks
• When you are booking please give details of which format you would like and what date you would like
• Dates will be allocated on a first come first served basis, so we cannot guarantee the date you are looking for
Please refer to Guideline & Requirements for Foundation Course Cerification which applies to anyone wishing to take a course
Facilities for a GAA Foundation Course
To run a GAA Foundation Course in your club you will need the following facilities
• Clubs need a hall minimum 2 badminton courts in size (preferably bigger)
• Clubs need a meeting room capable of holding the number of people who will be doing the course
• Access to a Pitch or Astro Turf area or Training pitch will be needed.
If your club does not have 12 participants to run your own course or you are not a member of your local GAA Club we can still accommodate you
• Individuals can email Coach Education Officer Shane Supple at email@example.com with their names and include the following details – Name, Club, Mobile Number and Email Address and the course they wish to attend.
• Club secretaries can also email Coach Education Officer Shane Supple at firstname.lastname@example.org with the Names, Club & Email Addresses of members of their club who wish to do a Foundation Course
• The cost for an individual is €20
• Payment by individuals is to be made at the course they attend or they can pay online before hand
• If payment is not secured participants cannot complete the course and will not receive certification
• Participants must be over 18 years of age to complete a GAA run Foundation Course. Students can take part in courses run in Schools for TY or the Emerging Coaches Course.
• Participants who do not complete the course will not receive certification
• After individuals names are submitted they will be contacted as to what club course they can attend
• We will endeavor to place individuals on club courses convenient to them
If there are no club courses suitable and if numbers suffice a course will be organised for these individuals at a convenient location. Please refer to Guideline & Requirements for Foundation Course Cerification which applies to anyone wishing to take a course
GAA Foundation Course for Schools
If a school wishes to run a Transition Year Students Foundation course or the Emerging Coaches Course pleases contact Shane Supple Coach Education Officer Shane Supple at email@example.com or your local GDA.
Child Protection Awareness Workshop
As part of the basic GAA Approved Foundation/Award 1 course, each person must complete a “Child Protection Awareness Workshop” before they receive certification and its up to the club to provide this workshop for participants. If any club or individual’s are taking part in a GAA Foundation Course they must also complete a Child Protection Workshop before they can receive certification for Foundation Courses.
For more information please follow this link Child Protection Awareness
Foundation Courses will be added to this list as they become available.
Foundation Course 2019
All participants must be over 18 years of age
|Venue/Club||Course Code||Course Dates||Status|
|Killeagh||GAA0MD0729||Mon 28th Jan 4th Feb||Complete|
|Delaneys||GAA0MD0726||29th & 31st Jan||Complete|
|Donoughmore||GAA0MD0734||Tue 12th & 19th Feb||Complete|
|Bride Rovers||GAA0MD0741||Fri 15th & Sat 16th Feb||Complete|
|Kiltha Og||GAA0MD0743||Fri 22ND & Sat 23rd Feb||Complete|
|Blarney||GAA0MD0725||Sat 23rd Feb||Complete|
|Carrigaline||GAA0MD0730||Fri 1st & Sat 2nd Mar||Complete|
|Aghada||GAA0MD0742||Fri 1st & Sat 2nd Mar||Complete|
|Kilara Og – Kilworth School Hall||GAA0MD0747||Fri 1st & Sat 2nd Mar||Complete|
|Watergrasshill||GAA0MD0757||Fri 1st & Sat 2nd Mar||Complete|
|Youghall||GAA0MD0758||Wed 6th & Sat 9th Mar||Complete|
|St James||GAA0MD0781||Fri 8th & Sat 9th Mar||Complete|
|Passage West||GAA0MD0733||Sat 23rd March||Complete|
|Killavullen||GAA0MD0737||Fri 22nd & Sat 23rd March||Complete|
|Erins Own||GAA0MD0752||Fri 22nd & Sat 23rd March||Complete|
|Mitchelstown||GAA0MD0751||Fri 29th & Sat 30th March||Complete|
|Knocknagree (Football)||GAA0MF0199||Fri 19th & Sat 20th April||Complete|
|Cloyne||GAA0MD0772||Fri 5th & Sat 6th April||Complete|
|Ballyclough||GAA0MD0774||Fri 12th & Sat 13th April||Cancelled|
|Bantry Blues GAA||GAA0MD0780||Mon 15th April & Mon 22nd April||Complete|
|Fermoy||GAA0MD0778||Fri 26th & Sat 27th April||Confirmed|
|Whites Cross||GAA0MD0779||Fri 26th & Sat 27th April||To Be Confirmed|
|Nemo Rangers||GAA0MD0787||Mon 29th & Tue 30th April||Confirmed|
|Cobh||GAA0MD0788||Fri 10th & Sat 11th May||Confirmed|
|Eire Og||GAA0MD0793||Fri 24th & Sat 25th May||To Be Confirmed|
Foundation Course – Completed 2018
All participants must be over 18 years of age
|Venue/Club||Course Code||Course Dates||Status|
|Carrigaline||180107CL||Jan 7th & 14th||Finished|
|Cloughduv||180113CV||Jan 13th & 20th||Finished|
|Carrig na bhFearr||180125CNV||Jan 25th & 27th||Finished|
|Bishopstown||180126BN||Jan 26th & 27th||Finished|
|St Catherines||180211SC||Feb 17th||Finished|
|Castlelyons||180216CS||Feb 16th & 17th||Finished|
|Kildorrery||180211KY||Feb 16th & 17th||Finished|
|Canovee||180215CV||1st & 15th Feb||Finished|
|Erins Own||180302EO||March 2nd & 3rd||Finished|
|Clann na nGael||180303CL||March 3rd||Finished|
|Carbery Rangers||180308CR||March 8th & 13th||Finished|
|Kilbrittain||180301KB||Mar 9th & 10th||Finished|
|Charleville||180309CL||Mar 9th & 10th||Finished|
|Kiltha Og||180309KO||Mar 9th & 10th||Finished|
|Milford||180309ML||Mar 9th & 10th||Finished|
|Ballygarvan||180309BL||Mar 9th & 10th||Finished|
|Laochra Og||180322LO||Mar 22nd & 24th||Finished|
|Dromtarriffe||180326DT||Mar 26th & 27th||Finished|
|Kilmurry||180326KL||Mar 26th & Apr 9th||Finished|
|Blackrock||180327BK||27th March & 3rd April||Finished|
|Mon AG||180409MAG||April 9th & 16th||Finished|
|Croke Rovers||180410CR||April 10th & 17th||Finished|
|Glanworth||180413GL||April 13th & 14th||Finished|
|St Vincents||180413SV||April 13th & 20th||Finished|
|Kinsale||180420KL||April 20th & 21st||Finished|
|Eire Og||180420EO||April 20th & 21st||Finished|
|West Cork||180423WC||April 23rd||Finished|
|Ballincollig||180427BC||April 27th & 28th||Finished|
|Douglas||180511DGC||May 18th & 25th||Finished|
|St Itas||180203ST||May 23rd & 31st||Finished|
|Glanmire||180525GL||May 25th & 26th||Finished|
|Cloyne||180525CL||May 25th & 26th||Finished|
|East/City – Erins Own||180609EOC||Sat 9th June||Finished|
|North Cork – Ballyhea||180609EOC||Sat 2nd June||Finished|
|Whitechurch||GAA0MD0711||Fri 19th Oct & Sat 20th Oct||Finished|
|Grenagh||GAA0MD0721||Fri 16th & Sat 17th Nov||Finished|
|Aghabullogue||GAA0MD0720||Thur 15th Nov & Sat 17th Nov||Finished|
|Kilara Og||GAA0MD0712||Fri 7th & Sat 8th Dec||Finished|
Foundation Course – Completed 2017
|Venue/Club||Course Code||Course Dates||Status|
|Carrigaline||170113CL||Jan13 & 20||Finished|
|Granard Gaels||170204GG||Feb 4th||Finished|
|Illen Rovers||170204IL||Feb 4th||Finished|
|Clonakilty||1702611CL||Feb 6th & 13th||Finished|
|Aghinagh||170219AG||Feb 9th & 16th||Finished|
|Glantane||170217GL||Feb 17th & 18th||Finished|
|Whites Cross||170225WC||Feb 25th||Finished|
|Midleton||170227ML||Feb 28th & Mar 7th||Finished|
|Valley Rovers||170303VR||March 3rd & 4th||Finished|
|Argideen Rangers||170310AR||March 10th & 11th||Finished|
|St Finbarrs||170225SF||March 4th||Finished|
|Buttevant||170323BT||March 22nd & 29th||Finished|
|Douglas||170301DG||Mar 31st & April 1st||Finished|
|Newmarket||170407NM||April 7th & 8th||Finished|
|Bride Rovers||170421BR||April 21st & 24th||Finished|
|Nemo Rangers||170427NR||April 27th & 29th||Finished|
|Erins Own||170328EO||April 28th & 29th||Finished|
|Cul Camp Mayfield||170701CC||July 1st at 10am||Finished|
|Fermoy||171104FY||Nov 3rd & 4th||Finished|
|Youghal||171117YL||Nov 17th & 18th||Finished|
|Fr O Neills||171106FR||Nov 6th,13th,20th||Finished|
|Lisgoold||171110LD||Dec 1st & 2nd||Finished|